Saturday, September 7, 2013

Make Your Own Puppy Warmer~

Our new puppy, Ruby, is just short of 8 weeks old and was in a kennel with her 12 brothers and sisters. Needless to say, crate training is hard the first week or so. She is cold and alone and honestly, I can only get up so many time a night and still be human.

Today I made this....

It can be microwaved in 30 second bursts until it is on the hot side of warm.
Ruby can snuggle up to it and it will warm her like her siblings did!

It is very simple to make., and be sure to use old materials...
I used an old towel, a t-shirt scrap from my rag bag and some velcro pieces left from an old project.

Instructions:
Cover
~ I took an old red towel from the rag bin. My towel piece measures 7"x 14", but the size can vary greatly depending on the size of towel scraps and puppy that you may have.

~ I sewed velcro to the one end, so the cover can be taken off and washed (a must with a puppy!). *Tip* sew the velcro on before assembling, it is much easier to do it first.

~ Sew the other three sides together, right sides facing in. (Remember to leave the velcro end open.) Turn.

Rice bag insert
~ Mine is made from a scrap of an old t-shirt, again from my rag bin. I measured it to be just short of the size of the cover, but left a bit extra on the end in case I need to snip it open to wash and/or change out the rice. This way I have extra fabric if it needs emptied and washed. After washing and drying the insert you just add more rice and sew the end shut again. I did not bother with velcro on the insert, it seemed to me that the rice may fall through the velcro or that it could easily be pulled open.

~ Sew all sides and leave a funnel sized opening on one end. No need to turn the insert right side out. Your puppy with probably not care. I know mine wouldn't.

~ Using a funnel, fill 2/3 full with dry rice.

~ Sew the opening closed and put the rice bag inside the cover.

Warm the entire thing in the microwave and put a puppy on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment