Friday, January 10, 2014

Make your own straw lid for a mason jar~

I have to admit it, (even though it is so very trendy right now)…. we use mason jars as glasses.
Only, we have been doing it since way-back-when it was a tacky, hillbilly thing to do. 
Funny, so much of what was once considered red neck/hillbilly is now "sustainable". 
But that rant is another blog post entirely, haha.

I take a jar of water with me at night and put it on my nightstand. This works great for when I am thirsty in the dark, but my darling cat finds the water so amusing and much tastier than her gigantic bowl of water in the bathroom. 

I have been eyeing the Cuoppw lids, but find them way too pricey for a chunk of plastic. 
So I donned my thinking hat and came up with THIS….

Introducing, Reenie's Straw Lid for a Mason Jar!

Cool, hunh?

Supplies needed:
A plastic lid, scissors, razor knife, marker and some jar lids to trace (aide or normal, your choice).


Trace the jar lid onto the plastic lid.
  
Cut it out.

Trim to fit inside a lid ring. Trim as closely as you can get it.
  Cut an "X" in  the lid with the razor knife. 
Just like a fast food cup lid… to hold your straw tightly.

Screw on the lids, add a straw and your favorite beverage and POOF!
You have a washable, upcycled jar lid!
(Don't forget to recycle the lid scraps.)

It is not watertight of course, since you cut a hole in the lid for a straw, but it slows down a spill if it gets toppled by a cat, and it keeps their cute paws out of you drinking water at night!


xo, reenie

No comments:

Post a Comment